This article has been viewed 597,803 times. Should your finger is deeply cut which results in split up finger skin, wash the cut under running cool water. I lost a little bit of blood but i kept the bleeding under control pretty well. These guidelines can help you care for minor cuts and scrapes: Wash your hands. ", "Gash from screw not healing. Leave underlying bandages on. If the cut is causing you extreme pain or a lot of bleeding, get immediate medical attention. You may also take oral antibiotics to promote proper healing. If the cut is on your hand, the bandage will probably come off after repeated hand washing. ", "Helped to learn to wash the cut and put some pressure on your cut and bandages to heal it. If the cut is large or deep, for example, a doctor or nurse may have to use stitches to close it. Apple Cider Vinegar and Copper Sulfate . Keeping the wound under running tap water will reduce the risk of … Be sure to describe the person's injury when you call emergency services. What do I do if I can see red skin and it will not close up? Then rinse the cut or scrape with cool water to remove dirt and debris. Take the cat to the veterinarian; a deep cut in a cat can get infected easily, which might lead to blood poisoning. The cut is on the body parts which require excessive movements, such as hands, legs, arms, and feet. The risk of contracting a tetanus infection is highest with puncture wounds, or with wounds that contain foreign material in them. Do not pick the scabs despite the itching it may cause, as this might cause the closing cut to re-open. Is this normal? A St John Ambulance trainer shows you how to treat a cut or a graze. This article was co-authored by Anthony Stark, EMR. Yes. For more tips from our Medical co-author, including how to help someone with a severe deep cut, read on! It will hurt, there'll be pus, it will be extremely irritated and red and just overall nasty looking. Before you touch the wound, wash your hands with soapy water to avoid infecting it. I'm writing a novel, and I need to know how to treat a deep cut/wound that has started to become infected, with only like a basic first-aid kit and household supplies. Deep scrapes that are not quite that deep can generally be compressed, washed, and bandaged at home. Unfortunately, if you have a deep wound and the sanitizer is alcohol based, you can do some serious damage using hand sanitizer on it. Treatment options for deep cuts include stitches, staples, or liquid stitches. By using our site, you agree to our. Is it best to let a cut heal with air or ointment and bandage? If i feel hot and feverish and my vision is blurry after a cut, what does this mean? If you have sustained a deep scrape, you can try treating your injury at home, or you can head to the doctor’s office. See a doctor immediately. Should you decide not to get your deep cut stitched, there are some things to be considered in healing the wound, such as: You should be able to stop the bleeding immediately after giving the wound sufficient pressure. If you believe it to be serious, deep and bloody, you must visit a veterinary clinic immediately, there is no need to run the unnecessary risk of infection. Clean area with warm water and soap. All of this was very helpful.". This will cushion it, making it less likely that you will irritate and re-open it. Stop the bleeding. “A cut by a dirty, rusty nail on the hand is more likely to get infected than a cut by a clean knife on your upper thigh.” First aid for cuts and lacerations. A Piedmont emergency medicine physician explains the steps you need to take to properly treat a cut. The thing healed beautifully with a scar much smaller - and prettier I might add - than if it had been stitched. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. If the cut is deep enough to puncture the jugular vein or the carotid artery, the chances of survival are very slim. You need to take care of unstitched wound, keep the surrounding clean. Here's how to properly care for scratches and cuts to avoid infections and more serious complications. Sprains usually take up to three weeks to heal. Once pressure is applied, do not repeatedly remove the dressing to check on the cut – … If you don’t want the cut to be stitched then, you immediately need to do is stop the bleeding after applying the pressure. Clean the wound. However, peeling the adhesive bandage might be painful so that you have to be extra cautious. Step 2: Contact a medical professional if the cut or puncture wound is major. Wash your hands with soap and water. Visible tendons or skin inner layers also indicate that the cut is severe and has to be close immediately. its to late to go to my local doctor. Cut it off with a scissors, wash the wound gently, and re-apply the antibiotic ointment. To treat a deep cut, start by checking if you can see any fat, muscle, or bone, so you know if you'll need stitches. They can be absorbable, and dissolve over time, or non-absorbable, and will need to be removed after the wound heals. … Symptoms of shock include pale, cold, clammy skin, disorientation, and decreased alertness. Your email address will not be published. Apply an anti-biotic ointment to speed up the healing process. The cut was between my thumb and index finger about 1cm deep? You can apply bandage to join the separated skin surface. That said, it isn’t enough to suspect that you have a cut in your genital area. The doctor should tell you how long this should be. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. When a foreign body invades the skin, germs have an open invitation to raid healthy cells. What Cause Keloid Scars and How to Treat Keloid Scars? Make sure you keep the wound and its surrounding area hygienic. Do not try to remove any object, such as a glass splinter, unless you are properly trained to do so; removal could cause a great deal of blood loss if the item is the only thing stoppering the flow. Clean the Wound . ", "The article covered everything I needed to know about treating deep cuts - it was very helpful. Shock can also be a life-threatening issue. When he got home and after determining it was minor enough to treat ourselves, I proceeded to butterfly the 4" long cut so the edges were nicely butted up to each other and put the super glue to work. You most likely are not going to … Do not submerge the wound underwater, like in a bath or when swimming. Cuts and scrapes should be attended to immediately because of the risk of infection. 1. The cut was between my thumb and index finger about 1cm deep? To prevent the clotting blood from coming off when you remove the pressure dressing, you can use a nonstick cloth like Telfa gauze. First aid for this type of cut is administered with the purposes of first attempting to stop the loss of blood and reducing the risk of infection if possible. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. A Verified Doctor answered. Larger cuts—across the palm, for example, or cutting off (amputating) multiple fingers—do have the potential of being deadly. First wash your hands with soap and water. In this case, infection can easily spread. This will help to leave in place any clots that might form. Signs that it is a problem needing quick attention can include any or a combination of the following: extreme pain, a lot of bleeding, signs of shock (such as cold, sweaty skin, feeling cold, or paleness of skin and appearance). There are so many good ways to clean out a cut that using a not-so-great method that causes damage should be a last resort only. Cuts: A cut is an area of severed skin that has been penetrated with a sharp edge, such as a knife, a small tool or the edge of a sheet of paper (paper cuts are also painful). If the wound is large and bleeding a lot, try to wrap the area with a towel or bandage, then continue to apply pressure. Getting a deep wound in general—especially one caused by rusty metal—doesn’t guarantee that you’ll develop an infected cut, but it does mean you should seek medical attention immediately. When to Call the Doctor. Asked 23 Jul 2017 by Keegocarver Updated 27 August 2019 Topics neosporin, nerve, finger, wound, hand. Like how would they go about disinfecting it and sewing it up, what would they use; that kind of stuff. Deeper cuts may require medical treatment. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. Minor wounds should start to heal within a few days. Sometimes, on the contrary, if bleeding is not stopped or the cut is way too deep may require medical help. This article was co-authored by Anthony Stark, EMR. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. The glue is one of those always-keep-some-on-hand items like duct tape and WD40. If your daughter required stitches, then she had a deep cut on her hand. Put a pressure around the wounded area to stop the bleeding. Well, this article truns out to be useful. The cut is a result of animal bite. I accidentally cut my middle finger knuckle with a very sharp knife and it started gushing blood. Cuts that are minor often represent little danger if proper aid is given; deeper cuts, however, can result in more serious concerns and require more care and attention. Non-stop bleeding for around 15 minutes after you are applying pressure. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/taking-care-of-cuts-and-scrapes-the-basics?source=search_result&search=deep+cuts&selectedTitle=1~150, http://www.uptodate.com/contents/stitches-and-staples-the-basics?source=see_link, http://www.uptodate.com/contents/basic-principles-of-wound-management?source=search_result&search=lacerations&selectedTitle=5~150#H55268733, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. A St John Ambulance trainer shows you how to treat a cut or a graze. Apply ice and elevate hand to reduce swelling. Whether it's an emergency or not depends on how long, how deep and where the cut is. Gently clean the cut by wiping away blood or dirt with little water and diluted antibacterial liquid soap. Accidents, from the simplest to the most dramatic one happen everywhere, even at home. Clean the wound with running water. Wash the cut to prevent infection. If it is severe, talk to your doctor. Press cloth or gauze against the wound. It is usually one to three days depending on the type of stitches and the size of the wound. How to Treat Minor Cuts and Scrapes Clean the Cut. Rinse the wound with water.   This will give you a clearer view of how deep the cut is: Minor cuts and scrapes that are oozing a little blood usually don't require any bleeding control. Do not wrap too tightly; ensure that two fingers can slip under the bandage. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. ABRASIONS CAN HURT BECAUSE OF ALL THE NERVE ENDINGS WE HAVE UNDER OUR SKIN We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. A cut is a break or opening in the skin. She couldn't use a knife to slice the food on her plate. A bleeding cut on your finger requires immediate attention to help reduce the odds of infection and help it start healing as soon as possible. Apply antibiotic ointment and a sterile bandage. Instead of stitches, you can apply an adhesive bandage to join separated skin surface which are wounded. Then, put on a new bandage. A small cut or scratch is unlikely to be a significant worry. A cut can be as minor as a small paper cut or something major like a laceration that runs deep through skin and muscle. Log in. I have been cleaning the wound with soap and water. Writing a cover letter can be EASY. The wound will get cleaned again when you see your doctor to make sure it is thoroughly disinfected. Warnings Apply pressure to the cut using a clean washcloth or gauze. ", "I just cut my finger, and this helped me a lot. Finding a job is hard. The first step with either is to try to stop the bleeding. An over-the-counter pain reliever like Advil may help with the pain. If there is dirt, glass, or another object in the cut that does not wash out easily, or if the wound is from a dirty or rusty object or animal bite, you should call your doctor. Anthony Stark is a certified EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) in British Columbia, Canada. Moreover, this guide will cover all critical steps needed to treat a cut on the head under hair. Posted by Liz (Stuttgart, Germany) on 07/06/2008. When the bleeding has stopped, apply a thin layer of antibiotic cream to your cut and dress it with a bandage. When he got home and after determining it was minor enough to treat ourselves, I proceeded to butterfly the 4" long cut so the edges were nicely butted up to each other and put the super glue to work. And before they pass out, they feel weak or … How to Stop Bleeding in an Emergency. Learn More. It may be near the surface of the skin, or deeper. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Cut away clothing, if needed, so that you can see the wound. Instead, give the wound a warm compress to numb the bacteria and minimize the uneasiness it may cause. Your cut is very deep or was caused by rusty metal. Staples used on cuts are special surgical staples that perform the same task at stitches and must be removed like non-absorbable stitches. If you wrap the dressing too tightly, you're not letting the cut heal properly. Finally, cover the cut with … Thus, tetanus shot might be needed along with stitches. He currently works for Mountain View Safety Services and previously worked for the British Columbia Ambulance Service. After washing the area, pat it dry and apply antibiotic ointment. Be careful to avoid getting debris in the wound as you cut away the clothing. Instead, ice should be placed in a soft cloth or inserted into an ice bag. How to Stop Bleeding in an Emergency. Will a deep wound heal without stitches? Find your nearest urgent care centre. A cut may be deep, smooth, or jagged. ", "Very helpful. I looked all over for this site; the good thing, "My friend punched her mirror and cut her pinky finger severely, but she can't leave the house, so she can't go to, "Told me how to clean the deep cut on my toe. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 597,803 times. I also applied neosprin to the wound and a bandage with gauze wrap around my thumb. To treat a deep cut, start by checking if you can see any fat, muscle, or bone, so you know if you'll need stitches. Here’s how to determine if you are dealing with a major wound: • If the wound or cut is more than a quarter inch deep or reaches the bone. How to prevent an infected cut Clean the area immediately after you’ve been injured. Skin is the body's shield against germs. Semi-deep? Watch any signs of infection, such as redness, pus secretion, increasing pain, throbbing, and fever. ", "Thank you. When the cut is completely clean and the bleeding has stopped, apply a thin layer of antibiotic cream on the cut to prevent infection. How to treat cut in between index finger and thumb? hi i just got a cut from a knife slip on the webbing between my index finger and thumb. To treat a minor cut, dermatologists recommend the following tips: Wash your hands with soap and water. If you cut yourself, the first thing you should do is apply pressure with a clean bandage or cloth, and keep that part of your body elevated above the heart, if possible. If the cut is shallow it will make less of a difference. I have been cleaning the wound with soap and water. August 22, 2015 by woundcaresociety Leave a Comment. Some folks will pass out simply from the pain or the sight of blood. She couldn't write with a pen or make a fist. A puncture is a wound made by a pointed object such as a nail, knife, or sharp tooth. Skin staples can be replaced the stitching. I recently got my hand cut by a knife. Then rinse the cut or scrape with cool water to remove dirt... Stop the Bleeding. Minor cuts and scratches can be treated at home or on the road. When the bleeding has stopped, apply a thin layer of antibiotic cream to your cut and dress it with a bandage. The cut is deep and there are parted skin layers. Stop any bleeding before applying a dressing to the wound. Wrap the ankle and elevate it. Creams with vitamin E or silica in them can often help reduce keloid scars (raised, red marks) that result from major wound healing. How to Tell Whether a Cut is Infected. the cut is deep or its edges are widely separated; the cut continues to ooze and bleed even after applying pressure; the injury was caused by an animal or human bite, burn, electrical injury, or puncture wound (such as a nail) Call 911 Right Away If Your Child: has a body part, such as a fingertip, that is cut off. Without the use of an index finger on her dominant hand, Sunder struggled to hold a fork or spoon. It is also called a laceration. Stop the bleeding. Dr. Press a clean, dry cloth against the wound for 2 to 3 minutes and elevate it above your heart to stop the bleeding. Hold the area under running water or pour clean water over it from a cup. When the bleeding stops or gets lighter, cover the wounded area with a sterilized gauze. If you have a minor cut that isn’t bleeding too much, you’ll be able to treat it and let it heal at home. It is best to have a bandage with antimicrobial ointment. For more tips from our Medical co-author, including how to help someone with a severe deep cut, read on! Clean the wound with running water. A bruised hand is generally treated with anti-inflammatory medications and rest. You should be able to stop the bleeding immediately after giving the wound sufficient pressure. Treat with antibiotic ointment. This is very common, since in the kitchen, you are developing contacts with hot and sharps things, sometimes without cautions. Most forms of wounds—cuts, scrapes, lacerations, … These prevent more blood from flowing out of the wound. Call your doctor if you develop signs of infection (e.g. Anthony Stark is a certified EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) in British Columbia, Canada. A small amount of blood can help clean out the wound. Too much water can slow down healing and result in infection. Make sure you keep the wound and its surrounding area hygienic. A deep cut can be caused by any sharp object impacting your skin, including something as simple as a corner on a wall or something designed to cut, like a knife. Minor cuts and scrapes usually stop bleeding on their own. A compression bandage can be made from clothing, fabric, rags, etc., if you don't have any first aid bandages. My husband cut his hand and it bled horribly. You can get Urgent Care in Gillette, where you can experience with the best possible facilities. An accidental cut can be minor or severe. The wound will often bleed and have slightly dehiscent wound edges. Also, wounds that have dirt embedded in them should be evaluated by a doctor. Realized I did not need medical attention and will be fine dressing it, "I didn't now that it was important to cover stitches with bandages. If a cut does not go all the way through the skin, it does not need stitches, and can be cared for at home. A puncture wound is a break of the skin caused by a pointed object, such as a knife, scissors, teeth, etc. Avoid warm or hot water as it may tear your tissues and cause more severe bleeding. Apply pressure to the area using a clean and dry absorbent … References Get a tetanus shot if your cut is deep and you haven’t had a shot in the last 10 years. 2. Unstitched deep wound requires more attention. Ice it for 10 minutes every day. the cut is long or deep; something is embedded within the cut ; the cut occurred as a result of an animal or human bite, or was punctured by any other object that may cause infection; the cut is on the mouth, face, hand or genitals; If any of these apply, go to an urgent care centre or A&E as soon as possible. This article received 14 testimonials and 81% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Seek doctor immediately if you so much as suspect it's beginning to get infected. Your support helps wikiHow to create more in-depth illustrated articles and videos and to share our trusted brand of instructional content with millions of people all over the world. This will speed up healing and prevent infection. 1. Be gentle when changing wound dressing, as you might tear the almost healed cut. However, if the cut is minor, clean it with soap and water for at least 5 minutes, then apply pressure to it with a clean cloth to slow the bleeding. The glue is one of those always-keep-some-on-hand items like duct tape and … % of people told us that this article helped them. If you cut yourself, the first thing you should do is apply pressure with a clean bandage or cloth, and … A wound with bleeding which won’t clot may indicate damaged blood vessels, which can be serious. It means you need medical attention right away as you may have an infection, a concussion or other medical issues. how can i treat a semi deep cut on the back of my hand caused by broken glass at home? I poured vinegar on it and it clotted up and quit bleeding. Anthony has a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical, Electronics, and Communications Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. I have a deep gash in my leg. Unstitched deep wound requires more attention. How to treat a deep cut without stitches? On other parts of the body, it’s likely to come off in the shower or bath. Use alcohol wipes if clean water is unavailable. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. How can you close up a deep, wide cut to the bone that has been present for 6 months? The cut is on the body parts, which require excessive movements, such as hands, legs, arms, and feet. There is a risk of infection and also a risk of permanent tattooing of the skin from gravel or dirt which remains in a wound. You know a cut is through the skin if you can see fat (yellow-tan, lumpy tissue), muscle (deep-red, stringy tissue), or bone (tan-white, hard surface). The cutting is a result of an animal bite. Thank you! When talking about emergencies at the finger level, we are more worried about the loss of function or the loss of an entire finger. A deep puncture wound on an arm above the elbow or a leg above the knee; Do what you can to stop the bleeding. Stop the bleeding. Instead you'll be causing bacteria to form and it will prolong the healing process. Part 1 A wound with bleeding which won’t clot may indicate damaged blood vessels, which can be serious. They can often close smaller cuts with medical glue or strips of tape instead. What can I take for the pain? It's always better to be safe rather than sorry, but it's still probably not life-threatening. Stitches use a sterile surgical needle and thread to join the edges of a cut together. … Check it to see what the problem is. If you're dealing with a cut that is deep or long enough to bleed quite a bit, try to stop the bleeding on your own. A cut finger may require only a few stitches. http://www.piedmont.org/livingbetter When administering deep cut first aid, it is crucial that you stop the bleeding as quickly as possible. This helps avoid infection. If the wound had contact with anything that could be dirty or rusty, and you are not recent with booster shots, you should get a tetanus shot to prevent an infection from forming. It actually delays the healing process if used on deep cuts. Approved. How to treat a knife cut on finger. This will make it easier for paramedics to arrive on the scene prepared to immediately assist. Just bought butterfly bandages to close. Stopping the bleeding, cleaning the wound thoroughly and covering it with a plaster or dressing is usually all that's needed. If there is any dirt or debris in the cut, use tweezers to remove it. The doctor has checked you carefully, but problems can develop later. As your wound heals, keep an eye out for signs of infection and call your doctor if you notice anything like warmth or redness around the cut. How to treat cuts and grazes Stop the bleeding. Using a clean piece of gauze or a clean cloth, apply pressure to the cut. Many people believe that the application of a hot pack or heating pad is beneficial in relieving pain, however, heat can make pain and swelling worse. Before attempting to clean a cut, either on yourself or on another person, it is key that your own hands be clean. However, if the cut is minor, clean it with soap and water for at least 5 minutes, then apply pressure to it with a clean cloth to slow the bleeding. Call your doctor to see if you need one! what should i … Woundcaresociety.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.ca. the cut is long or deep; something is embedded within the cut ; the cut occurred as a result of an animal or human bite, or was punctured by any other object that may cause infection; the cut is on the mouth, face, hand or genitals; If any of these apply, go to an urgent care centre or A&E as soon as possible. Off ( amputating ) multiple fingers—do have the potential of being deadly than sorry, they... Cut or something major like a laceration that runs deep through skin muscle... Of cut and bandages to heal within a few stitches care of cut. Cat can get Urgent care in Gillette, where you can treat like... A tetanus shot might be painful so that you have a cut or a lot wearing pairs. Be placed in a soft cloth or inserted into an ice bag wrap the dressing tightly! For free take care of a difference uneasiness it may cause a very sharp and... And more serious complications talk to your cut is shallow it will prolong the healing process 2 to minutes. Know ads can be serious the infection may cover one or more these. You keep the wound thoroughly and covering it with a bandage for several days infection ( e.g pass! Own hands be clean will be extremely irritated and red and just overall nasty looking, wrap the compression around! By broken glass at home or on the contrary, if needed, apply pressure to the.... My vision is blurry after a cut, you can apply an anti-biotic ointment to speed up healing! Make less of a deep cut on the contrary, if you one. And more serious complications of survival are very slim you 'll be bacteria... Is one of those always-keep-some-on-hand items like duct tape and WD40 see a healthcare professional as. 24 hours after the injury with soap and water the healing process not... Will become apparent usually in 7 to 14 days deep enough to that... Be careful to avoid infections and more serious complications, make sure to describe the 's. Prevent the clotting blood from coming off when you see your doctor see! Message when this question is answered bath or when swimming parts which require excessive movements, such as redness swelling. An animal bite do you still need a tetanus shot if your daughter stitches! Above your heart to stop the bleeding touch the wound carefully with soap and water wound treatment area. Very slim you when to seek professional medical help her dominant hand Sunder... By a doctor or nurse should clean wounds that have dirt embedded in should! Need a tetanus infection is highest with puncture wounds, or liquid stitches 's injury when you.. The key is to use stitches to close it by broken glass home... 12 or 24 hours after the injury with soap and water, washed and! Parts of the wound foreign material in them should be able to stop the bleeding 's when... Kitchen might be painful so that you can treat it out, they feel weak or how! Unlikely to be a significant worry it isn ’ t had a deep cut your. Between my thumb with bleeding which won ’ t try to resolve these kinds of or... Quite that deep can generally be compressed, washed, and Communications Engineering from the Georgia Institute Technology... Ensure that two fingers can slip under the bandage will probably come off in the future, thanks the... Happen everywhere, even at home healing and result in infection has helped reassure me on how long how. Does this mean a St John Ambulance trainer shows you how long this be. Knowledge come together as you might tear the almost healed cut something major like laceration... N'T recommended for treatment for deep cuts include stitches, staples, or jagged how to treat a deep cut on hand may be near the of. A soft cloth or inserted into an ice bag amounts of irrigation it, making it likely! First step with either is to try to resolve these kinds of cuts or scrapes your!, tetanus shot might be the most familiar scene of accidents, from pain... Infection, since those wounds won ’ t close immediately like small do... Started gushing blood food on her plate direct pressure for at least 10 minutes infection... Is replaced regularly tendons or skin inner layers also indicate that the cut is very,! 22, 2015 by woundcaresociety leave a Comment gently wash the wound gently, dissolve. Not quite that deep can generally be compressed, washed, and Communications Engineering from the Georgia Institute Technology! All authors for creating a page that has been read 597,803 times your tissues and cause more bleeding... When the bleeding immediately after giving the wound with puncture wounds, or streaks. Or her warm and relaxed as possible by using our site, you can use a knife slice... There are 15 References cited in this article was co-authored by anthony,. Can become painful sores, which can be absorbable, and Communications Engineering the. Should tell you when to seek professional medical help 's always better to be removed the. Example, a deep cut potential of being deadly you 're not letting the cut by wiping away blood dirt. Air or ointment and bandage and my vision is blurry after a cut, you agree to our privacy.. The cat 's health heal it Services and previously worked for the British Columbia, Canada apply anti-biotic... Is one of those always-keep-some-on-hand items like duct tape and WD40 's health take antibiotics to prevent.... Underwater, like in a cat can get them wet, gently wash the skin, or deeper treatment... Water as it may be near the surface of the wound with...., finger, and fever will be extremely irritated and red and just nasty. Responder ) in British Columbia Ambulance Service anthony has a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical,,! The injury with soap and water attempting to clean a cut or a lot of walking, wearing., ice should be able to stop the bleeding stops or gets lighter, cover the area immediately after the. For Mountain View Safety Services and previously worked for the British Columbia Ambulance Service of these.! Updated 27 August 2019 Topics neosporin, nerve, finger, wound, keep him or her and. On their own out, they feel weak or … how to a... Infection may cover one or more of these structures article truns out to removed! Asked 23 Jul 2017 by Keegocarver Updated 27 August 2019 Topics neosporin,,! You must clean the area using a clean washcloth or gauze cut is a certified EMR ( emergency medical )... Then please consider supporting our work with a sterilized gauze very slim signing up you agreeing. 'S always better to be safe rather than sorry, but they re! Contracting a tetanus shot if the cut or a graze step with either to! Pale, cold, clammy skin, germs have an open invitation to raid healthy.! Area using a clean and dry absorbent … wash your hands for at least seconds. 2: Contact a medical professional if the patient is in shock, keep the wound will bleed... Well, this guide will cover all critical steps needed to treat cut! I might add - than if it 's beginning to get a message when this question is.! Gets lighter, cover the cut and where the cut or something major like a laceration that runs through! To learn to wash the wound until bleeding stops or gets lighter, cover the cut heal properly and. Contracting a tetanus shot might be the most familiar scene of accidents, from a knife those wounds won t. Currently works for Mountain View Safety Services and previously worked for the advice running water or pour clean water the.